Monday, May 16, 2011

Something To Look Forward To




Commencement has come and gone, and we've got "another one in the bag," as I like to say. This year's group has been the focus of the last six years of my career as their 7-12 grade principal, and so it is always with a mixture of sadness and pride (and sometimes relief!) that I wish them goodbye and hand over their diplomas.

However, the brilliant thing about education is that the next fall, I'm always going to get more kids--a fresh batch of eager young minds that I'll have the opportunity to influence, to educate, and to reinforce the concepts of honesty, hard work, and service to others.

It's that spirit of renewal that we all need to keep in mind as we approach the sunset of the current school year.

For some of us, summer will mean vacations with family. For others it will bring time back in the classroom, except we'll be the ones learning and someone else will be teaching. And for others, summer is a time to work that second job earning money, as a friend of mine always says, "so I can support my hobby of teaching!"

But for all of us, from the rookie on her first ever day of school to the veteran who may be anticipating his 40th first day of school, summer carries the same promise: the opportunity to improve upon our performance and carry our little corner of the nation forward one more step.

People look at me funny when they ask me the question, "What's the worst part of your job?" and I reply, "Summer." It's true: I put up with summer and the separation from my students because I know they're coming back. Now, of course, I enjoy my vacations as much as the next educator, and I value that time with my own family, but always in the back of my mind I'm itching to get back to the schoolhouse.

So it is with that hope that I wish you well for the summer, and I promise that it won't last long! Before you know it you'll be back in the classroom with your kids, educators. And that is definitely something to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment