Saturday, January 29, 2011

Common Sense Ought to Tell Us...

...that just because I've spent a full year in an algebra course doesn't mean I've proven I can apply those concepts to the world outside the classroom walls.

(I might have caught on to the deeper principles of algebra by the end of the 1st semester--let me prove it to you so I can move on to the next level)

...that just because my school gives me a laptop doesn't mean I'm going to be a better learner.

(My teachers will need to continue the evolution into assigning more project-based and deeper conceptual activities instead of simply being excited about having worksheets online.  They're still just worksheets)

...that just because I have a master's degree in leadership doesn't mean I am a competent leader.

(The staff, students, and parents ought to have the opportunity to provide data that shows how well or how poorly I lead.  A principal's evaluation that lacks these components is incomplete, and a teacher's evaluation that lacks achievement data is incomplete, as well)

...that our education system needs to be the highest priority in our nation, and that this kind of prioritization doesn't always mean more money.

...that our work is too important to be making excuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment